I have so many thoughts about today. It's historic, yes, and I can appreciate the significance. I wonder, though, was Obama elected b/c he's black or b/c of his promises? Are we celebrating his color or his presidency? He's different, that's what our country wanted. We have elected a Black President. It seems to me that's all anyone is caring about. He's BLACK. So, what? Like I said, I can appreciate the significance of this, but at some point we need to forget his color and remember that he is a man...he is the new president. He is significant in history b/c he is the President of The United States of America.
I will pray for him. I will show him respect. I will not call him stupid or uneducated or uncaring as so many have done to President Bush. If I did, I would probably be called racist anyway. Which brings another thought...How can anyone say anything bad about this man without being seen as racist? His color is going to be an issue for the next 4 years (at least.) Criticism of the president is now going to be a very sensitive subject. ugh.
Again....I can appreciate the significance of this event. Less than 50 years ago, blacks were not even allowed to vote. I just wonder how all of this will pan out.
(As I write this Aretha Franklin is singing...does anyone else think she's not as great as she once was? That was horrid.)
Now...THIS is music....Yo-yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Gabriela Motero and Anthony Mcgill.
They used his middle name. Did anyone else catch that? They used Bush's middle name when they introduced him as he came down the steps. They used Obama's middle initial. When he was sworn into office, though, they used his full middle name....Hussein. I wonder why it wasn't used earlier.
No comments:
Post a Comment