Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I hate my kitchen. How about you?

Things I like about my kitchen:



it's existence.




Things I hate about my kitchen:


-the corner sink that sprays water when I turn the faucet to the other side and faces cabinets that are too close to my face.
-the "island" in the middle that is big enough for a cook top stove only and makes it impossible to move around the kitchen.
-the microwave above the stove that i bump my head on daily while trying to make dinner b/c it's in a bad spot.
-the ugly countertops
-the wall oven that doesn't cook properly
-the cabinets with shelves that are too tall and end up wasting a TON of space.
-the floor. nice wood floor, but the previous owner/builder was too lazy to move the fridge to put finish on that area of the floor.
-the shelves without doors that just gather dust and clutter and become more wasted space.

I'm sure I could think of more if I took the time. I'm hoping for a new kitchen by the end of this year and I'm looking for ideas. I know how I want the basic layout to be, but I'm open to suggestions on the details. What is your favorite thing(s) about your kitchen? What detail can you not live without?

4 comments:

Jodi said...

You crack me up. This is going to require before and after pictures.

Tarah said...

I thought about putting some current pictures in this post so everyone could see how aweful it really is.

Mindy said...

Hate mine too, Tarah. Truly. Too tall cabinets? Check. Poorly functioning oven, check. No wood floors...concrete. Not even finished. No drawers. No dishwasher. That's my "can't live without" by the way. Oh, and a functioning oven. Hard to bake cakes otherwise! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress...and definitely post pics!

Anonymous said...

Oh, we really need to talk!!
I hate everything about mine too. This is the second house I've lived in with horrid old 50's cabinets. (Yes, I have the too-tall ones too.) No dishwasher, windows that are always iced over, pans crashing out on my toes every time I open a door, stained, chipped countertop, yucky fake backsplash and a sink with rusted not-so-stainless-steel "trim" that I think is going to drop out of the counter-top at any minute. I'm glad I'm not alone.