I'm going to Watkins Glen in 2 weeks. This is not just any trip to visit the beautiful gorge or Seneca lake, or to visit my sister. This is an experience of a lifetime. We are going to the Nascar race at Watkins, but wait, it gets better!!!! We are sitting behind Pit Road (arguably the BEST seats at the glen), we have access to the Hospitality tent (free food and drinks all day), and our tickets don't just get us in for Sunday's race. We can get in for the weekend of festivities. Corning, Inc., was giving these tickets out in honor of the 50th anniversary of the plant James works at. We didn't actually win the tickets ourselves, so we did pay a small amount for them (less than half of their worth). It's SOOO worth it!!
Now...I know there are those of you who think that NASCAR stands for "Non-Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks". (Actually, it stands for National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing). I would challenge you to check out these drivers. They work out regularly and they aren't just out for a sunday drive. It's work to control one of those vehicles at 170 mph. I know, I've ridden in one with a professional driver at that speed. (Check out Richard Petty's driving experience. http://www.1800bepetty.com/experience/Ride.aspx)
People also think that all there is to racing is "drive fast, turn left". You should find out the rules and get involved in it before passing judgement. I, too, was skeptical for many years, but it is very interesting once you understand the rules and drivers. (There's lots of drama.) And this also brings me back to Watkins. If you only turned left, you'd have issues.


Doesn't that look like fun!!!???
1 comment:
we went to the state park there for our second anniversary! (we did not go to the race and strategically avoided any weekend around the race!) I truly think it was one of the prettiest places I have ever been to. I know this post is from a while back, but I hope your weekend was great!
Post a Comment