Friday, July 11, 2008

Camp FINALLY ended.

It was about 11 days of stress. On every one of those days I asked why I was there and thought about going home. Camp was rough to say the least. I thought I had control over the situation. I had a plan. I had grandparents...4 of them. There was supposed to be some rest for me. I guess there was....I had a day out shopping with my sister with no children. I had a night when Catie stayed with Gma and Gpa Auffhammer (Lydia, of course, didn't sleep in till her usual 9 a.m. the next morning, but instead woke up at Catie's usual 7 a.m.). I had an afternoon when Catie was with Gma Auffhammer and Lydia was with Mima and I got to visit with some old friends.

So I did get to relax a little. The other days I spent trying to occupy Catie at the camper while Lydia slept b/c Lydia always sleeps longer than Catie in the morning and for their afternoon naps. Then, at night, Lydia is awake for about an hour longer than Catie. Well, this week was different b/c Catie didn't get to bed until 10 or later most nights.

I didn't get to enjoy the morning Bible Studies with Dr. Smith or the evening services b/c I didn't trust the nursery situation and Catie didn't want to go there. Most evenings we sat outside the tent for service and tried to listen while keeping Catie's noise level at a minimum.

Then there were the meltdowns...their's and mine. I had at least 2 crying episodes. Catie probably had 3 or 4, but one night in particular was really bad.

And now it's been 4 days since our return and my girls are still not recovered. Lydia is sleeping and eating weird. Catie has had a low-grade fever for a few days (didn't wake up with it this morning, though, thankfully.) And we'll do it all again next year. But, by then, the girls will be 15 months and 2 1/2 years old. Hopefully the experience of this past week will help me to have a greater appreciation for next year.

No comments: