Friday, April 3, 2009

my girls will never wrestle a boy

James and I were given a subscription to WORLD magazine for Christmas from Jack and Jane Hager. I'll admit...I have trouble finding the time to read this magazine. It comes twice a month and I have a few other magazines that I get that require a lot less brain to read. On the other hand, James will sit and read the entire thing within a day or two of it's arrival. He will often share articles that he thinks will interest me. (I also enjoy the political cartoons.)

In this past issue was an article about a female wrestler in Minneapolis that he asked me to read. Here is a link to the article. (I hope it works.)

I like the reference to the verse from I Peter 3:7 and how Piper explains it. It got me thinking though....if I only have girls, I won't have the opportunity to teach a son this principle. How will I teach my girls to live with the expectation that a man fight FOR her and treat her appropriately. James and I talked about this and the conclusion we came to was that a lot of that responsibility falls to him. The way he treats me and them will show them how a man should treat them at any age in life. It's scary to think that some parent won't be teaching these things to their son who will come into contact with my girls. Who wants to arrange a marriage b/w their son and one of my daughters?

2 comments:

Jodi said...

ME!

I'm going to be ALL ABOUT teaching my son how to treat women with respect and tenderness!!! You can believe that's going to be a priority at our house.

Unknown said...

I think you've got the right idea with James teaching your girls how a man/boy should treat a woman/girl. Even though I love to tickle and cuddle my boys, we've taught them that they need to treat girls (aka mama) differently. I don't wrestle or rough play with them and we stress holding the door for mom, being gentle, etc.

Anyhow, would it be better for our children to have an arranged marriage where they've grown up knowing each other or see each other for the first time at the wedding??? What do you prefer??? Ha, ha!