Friday, April 17, 2009

Milestone #1

Well, maybe not "#1", but a significant milestone for me.....





When I graduated from nursing school, the first job I took was part-time nights on a small pediatric floor. 10 beds-small. It has since closed b/c of the lack of patients. I wasn't learning nearly enough. Half of the time I was floated over to the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) to help with what they called "feeders and growers". These are babies who are still there b/c they need to gain weight. I ended up taking another parttime job in that NICU, so I had more exposure to all things medical. I remember seeing infants born at 24 weeks gestation survive. This is not to say that ALL 24-weekers survived, but I learned that it is possible. I have reached 24 weeks. With all of my pregnancies this has been a milestone for me. A doctor will never tell you that 24 weeks is a good place. Most would like AT LEAST 27 weeks, but I still get to this point and breathe a sigh of relief--a quick one with few expectations, but still a sigh.

2 comments:

jane said...

What? No Pictures. You could have taken one of the belly to let us all see what it looks like to be at 2? weeks, (i forgot what i just read already)
YEAH! for being pregnant!!!!!

Unknown said...

I always breathe that same sigh of relief...and I'm honestly thankful that I don't have the same nursing experience as you do. I have enough to "worry" about without knowing all the ins and outs of preemies!

YAY for 24 weeks! Hope you are doing well!