Friday, June 13, 2008

hookd on fonics workd fur me.

One of my pet peeves is improper spelling and grammer. I'm not above reproach on this one, but I think that I do better than most, mainly because I didn't have spell check on my mom's typewriter!! When I was an RD, I noticed the lack of ability to spell correctly on everything from instant messager (to which I give some slack) to job applications. Yes, JOB APPLICATIONS!! Seriously. If you're applying for a job as an RA, I expect you to be able to spell "resident assistant". (And don't let me get started on penmanship!) I came up with a theory regarding this phenomenon, though. It has to do with this next generation relying heavily on the computer's ability to check spelling and grammer automatically. Like all rules, there are exceptions, of course. I knew many students who could spell and write very well. (I usually hired them.) And on the other side of the coin, there are also many people in my generation who can't spell themselves out of a paper bag. I don't think there is a solution to this problem except, possibly, going back to the old-fashioned typewriter.

If you notice any typos in this blog, then you must be mistaken...I use a spell checker.

For some enjoyment and a good laugh check out this website: http://www.iwustudentquotes.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Hahaha. TELL ME ABOUT IT!

(by the way, I think the phrase is "above reproach"...) ;)

Tarah said...

hahahaha!!!! THAT'S funny!! It was completely unintentional, but it's a good example of how well spell check works!!! Thanks for pointing out my mistake...i'll fix it.

Jean Harshberger said...

I consider myself an authority on this subject because I am a poor speller, therefore forevermore I must come to the defense of poor spellers everywhere. Lets remember that spelling has nothing to do with intelligence, and give thanks that Jesus loves poor spellers too. I agree that one should be more careful on a job application, I believe spelling and thoroughness may be linked…. it may even be linked with righteousness.

Here is a boring article that may help other readers of your blog if they too are poor spellers.

http://www.phonicspeller.com/article-on-spelling.html

Tarah said...

Jean-I don't think that you are the type to easily be offended, so I'm going to assume that your comments are as lighthearted as my blog. Thanks for the link.

Jean Harshberger said...

I am smiling.

Jodi said...

I wasn't pointing out your mistake - I was just appreciating the irony! haha! :)

Tarah said...

I'm glad you pointed it out so that I could enjoy the irony!! :) I laughed hard when I saw what I wrote!!!