Friday, August 28, 2009

What's in a name?

I always wanted my children to have names with meaning. Not just the kind of meaning you can put on a bookmark that you buy at a Christian bookstore, but the kind that adds significance to their life. The kind they can grow up proud of. The kind they can talk about and pass on to their own children.


When we chose Cate's name it was fairly easy. "Catherine" was the name of my maternal grandmother. "Margaret" was the name of my paternal grandmother and also my middle name. So, Catie is "Catherine Margaret".


We had a bit more difficulty naming Lydia. We just couldn't come up with anything until the last few months of my pregnancy. James's mom is "Linda Elaine". We weren't fond of the name "Linda", so we chose "Lydia Elaine" instead.


Part of the reason I was hoping for a boy this time was b/c I had NO IDEA what we would name a little girl. We have boy names lined up for miles, but no girl names.


One day the girls were watching a Veggie Tales video about Moses and James said "Miriam is a nice name". I was blown away. Not once during the previous 2 pregnancies has James suggested a name. That was my job. He just got to veto all of them. I liked the name as well and it stuck. Daddy picked out Miriam's name and I think it's so sweet.


Her middle name, "Kristin", came from one of my closest friends. I have a lot of friends that I would be happy for my girls to immitate in life, but if they turned out to be EXACTLY like Kristin I would love it. She is one of those people that encourages without saying a word. When I have a chance to visit with her, whether it's on the phone or in person, I feel refreshed. Everyone should have a friend like that and I hope my girls, especially Miriam, can be that kind of friend.
We love you Kris! I can't wait for you to meet Miriam Kristin.

1 comment:

Aaron Mercer said...

Kristin is pretty wonderful, isn't she? :) We look forward to meeting Miriam!