My husband showed me a video this morning of a Brittish girl with a genius IQ who is the youngest member of some geniuses-only club called Mensa. I find it ridiculous. I won't say she's not smart, but I'm not sure that naming capitals of countries demonstrates a genius brain. I could teach Catie the capitals of every country in the world of every state for that matter. Repetition is what matters at her age. Give us a month.
I'm not one of those parents who thinks my child is the exception of the exceptions. I do think she is smart, but time will tell how intelligent she is. I will tell you, though, that she was able to count to 10 by the age of 2 (with the exception of forgetting "4" sometimes). She speaks in COMPLETE sentences. (She does not say "I want snack", she says "I want a snack" while enunciating her words.) She is learning colors, shapes, and counting. She has learned what we have taught her.
I believe this to be typical of children her age. They are sponges. If they get regular interaction they will pick up on things. Some may take a little longer (Lydia certainly isn't talking like Catie did at her age), but they can ALL be taught facts by memorization/repetition once they become verbal.
I don't have any scientific proof of this theory. I'll even admit that I could be wrong, but when I was watching this little 2 year old genius from Brittain I was unimpressed. She's smart, but my child could do the same things she's doing in the video and yours probably can too.
I wonder what that girl will be doing in 20 years....
1 comment:
I will agree with you 100%. Your child is as brain smart as you teach her. Those who do not spend time with their children teaching, reading, etc. will end up with less brain smarts at the age of 2, 3,4,5 and so on. At the same time some children you will find that they have a very quick learning ability, you have one of them!!
Post a Comment