Sunday, October 5, 2008

I'm a little scared...

There's lots (and I mean....LOTS) of gunfire outside. At times it sounds like a 4th of July fireworks finale. No, I don't live in the hood. I live in the middle of nowhere and my neighbors (whom I can't see from any spot on my property) are out target shooting. I think there might be more than one of them shooting. I'm avoiding windows and praying a stray bullet doesn't make it's way through one of them. The dog has been indoors all afternoon. He doesn't like the noise, and he looks a little like a deer.

I grew up in the country. I, myself, have done my share of target shooting. I understand that hunting season is coming up and this is part of living out here, but I also know that there are some REALLY stupid rednecks out there. I don't know which neighbors are shooting and I have no reason to believe that they are drunk, dumb, or otherwise incapacitated. I just know that it's possible.

My comfort is that the shots sound too far away to be our immediate neighbor. And I did notice a car at one of the hunting cabins down the road, so I'm guessing that's where the sound is from. If that's true, it's too far for a bullet to travel.

No comments: