Thursday, October 9, 2008

healthy, but....

Today Lydia went for her 6 month visit to the doctor. I really like the pediatrician that the girls see. He's very knowledgable and kind and the girls don't seem to be afraid of him. He tends to repeat the same things each visit, but this time was a little different.

When Lydia was 2 weeks old a hemangioma showed up on her eyelid. It's barely even visible in this picture...

It's simply a cluster of blood vessels close to the surface and should disappear within the first few years of life. Dr. Khan has always mentioned that it's okay and should go away but keep an eye on it. Today, he said the same thing and added that he's a little concerned b/c of it's location and if it gets bigger he will refer us to a plastic surgeon. Wait...what? He then said that he didn't want to scare me and that it would probably be fine. For a moment, I was afraid, though. My brain immediately pictured my precious little girl needing surgery. I'm not a fan of surgeries of any sort. When I think about someone I love going to surgery I feel panic in my heart. This has more to do with the way Andrew died than a distrust of the medical profession. It was a passing feeling though. I know that the chances of this thing changing and growing are small, but now I am prepared for it.

4 comments:

Jean Harshberger said...

Dr Khan is an amazing guy, he is always willing to discuss things with me such as discipline, opinions on various medical practices, and if asked he will even talk about his family and his family practices. It is my opinion that he is also very laid back and doesn’t make things out to be more than what they are. With that said if he states a concern, I would trust it to be legitimate. Although, there has been 2 occasions that I have desired a second opinion 1. Ears and 2. a click in Tobies hip. Both I have discussed with him and he has never been offended, both he has said are not concerns…neither have proved to be yet….but I’m not taking any chances. I hope he doesn’t ever leave the area.

Rachel said...

love that blue eyed baby!!!

glad you liked what i had to say. miss you. i am coming soon, i promise.

love you,
aunt hammy

Rachel said...

i'm bored. update soon.

Jodi said...

I love visiting your blog and hearing all the great music - excellent choices! The most recent of which was "I Then Shall Live"... NICE. :)