My ideal Mother's Day does not include snow. or my husband working all day. or disobedient children. or sore throats for mommy. or runny noses/ear infections for babies. or laundry. or dirty kitchens in need of order. or whiney children. or snow. (oh, i mentioned that already, did I?)
My ideal Mother's Day would include a beautiful sun-filled morning. sleeping-in past my children. breakfast in bed with coffee, eggs, and bacon. a relaxing shower. church. a picnic lunch that I didn't prepare. naptime for the kiddos. flowers and a card with a note from my husband about how great of a mom I am. handmade cards by my children saying they love me. a nice dinner at home since every restaurant in town is mobbed with mommies. and an evening of spending time with my children and husband. bedtime. then a special chocolate dessert with a glass of sparkling grape juice (since I don't drink). and, finally, a good night's sleep.
I have expectations. My family thinks I'm difficult to please, but really I just want a little thought and preparation put into the day. There are 2 days of the year that I expect to be ALL ABOUT ME: my birthday and Mother's Day.
I know the value in celebrating my mom for all she has done in the past and all she does for me today. She is willing to watch my girls at the drop of a hat so I can have a break. And sometimes she doesn't even have to be asked, so just offers. I love that! But, her days of strictly being a mom are done. She is a grandma, a secretary, a wife, a friend, but her role as mom is not her primary role anymore. I went to the Mother-Daughter Banquet at her church with her on Friday evening. It was great to spend that time with her, but I don't plan to see her ON Mother's day.
I feel selfish about this every year, but I know she understands. My PRIMARY ROLE IS LIFE right now is to be a mom. That role consumes me 365 days a year. I am responsible. Is it too much to ask that TODAY be a celebration of my mommy-ness?
1 comment:
no. it's not too much to ask. and i agree. wholeheartedly.
Post a Comment