Did you figure that out yet? seriously? you couldn't tell? well, let me just wait another 3 months before posting and maybe you'll get it.
oh boy!! i wish i had things to write about. actually, I wish i had the words and time to write about them. I could tell you daily about my beautiful little girls and the silly things they do or say. I could go into detail on their personalities. I'm trying to analyze them daily and find trends in their attitudes and activities. It's a fun hobby.
I'm trying to accept that SOMEDAY Corning will actually get around to hiring an electrician. They are in need of at least 4 currently. It feels like this job situation will last forever, but it won't. (but now it's the weekend so we won't be finding out anything).
I could tell you about our adventures in kitchen remodel....and we haven't even removed a nail. ok...since you're begging to find out I'll fill you in on a bit. we've been going to different kitchen and bath design companies and having people come measure our home. They, then, come up with a floor plan design and estimated cost based on bare-bones information I've given them about what i'm looking for.
The first place we went was a local building company, like Lowes or Home Depot, but privately owned. He came, he measured, he designed. He annoyed me. I told him some of the features that I want in my kitchen and he tried talking me out of spending my money. huh? yep...you read that right...rather than try to SELL me a kitchen, he tried to convince me that I should cut corners and do things that I didn't want. We got his computer-generated design by email and it showed features that I DID NOT WANT. He suggested putting cabinets over my desired breakfast bar....even though they would be high and wouldn't interfere with conversation, I just don't want anything except pendant lights hanging from the ceiling in that space. (IWU friends...do you remember the cabinets in my Shatford Apt that blocked the view into the kitchen?) Needless to say, we won't be asking him for any more help.
Next, we had a company that does the design and build (meaning they have their own workers, including carpenters, electricians and plumbers that actual do the work in my home) come measure. I really liked the lady that did the measuring and would be doing the design part as well. She seemed very competent. She asked about our budget when James called and he told her that we wanted her to design our dream kitchen and then we would decide what is important and what's not, based on the estimate. She was wonderful...not down-selling or upselling...just listening and taking notes. We met with her recently and talked about her ideas/floorplan and the estimate. There were a few things I preferred to be a slight bit different about her design and she is reworking the drawings and will meet with us again. It was a lot of fun to look at cabinet colors and hardware options and talk about countertops and cabinet features. Overall, we've had the best experience with her company. The down-side is that they are probably the most expensive b/c of their comprehensive services, which is definitely a bonus to me....not dealing with seperate contractors and subcontractors schedules and personalities. i would be dealing with this lady...she would be at my house a few times a week to answer questions and oversee the entire remodel. (i'm LOVING that idea....I deal with her, she deals with everyone else.)
We stopped into a 3rd place (prior to meeting with place #2) that does design and works with a contractor that we would have to hire. (I think that's how it works...it wasn't clear to me.) We walked into their showroom and were ignored for a long while. Appearantly there is only one person working behind the desk and a customer already had her attention. I was a bit surprised that she didn't even acknowledge us by saying that she would be "right with us" or something, though. And even when she did speak with us, she seemed disinterested until she asked our budget...James hemmed and hawed and I spoke up and told her an amount that is on the HIGH side of our desires, but she IMMEDIATELY perked up and gave us her full attention. How obnoxious!!! They came out to the house to measure, but I will probably tend away from that company. James is going to try to meet with them to see their ideas and estimate sometime next week, but I won't be going b/c of lack of childcare...not that I'm heartbroken or anything.
There was a 4th place that does design and build that we visited a few weeks ago. The owners were leaving that day for Florida for vacation and one of their mothers was watching the store. She didn't seem very knowledgable, but assured us that her daughter would call us when they returned from vacation. They called. about 3 weeks later. The mom told us they were going to be gone a week. They will come measure this week....maybe....if I give them the time of day and allow them into my home.
I was wanting an adventure...well, here's one for me. I'll definitely post pictures of the before, during and after. Don't look for them any time soon though b/c this remodel isn't happening until summertime. we want it finished before Sept. 1, 2010.
No comments:
Post a Comment