Thursday, September 25, 2008

some favorite recipes

I cooked and baked today, so I thought I would share what I did.

Stern's Chicken

2 cups vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/4 cup salt (yes, 1/4 CUP)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 TBSP Poultry Seasoning

Mix it together and marinate chicken overnight and grill to perfection. When I was growing up we used to have chicken like this at family reunions. My mom got the recipe from the company sometime in the past year and I make it quite regularly. Leftovers are great too.


I also made some Pumpkin Whoopie Pies for my husband, who, although he doesn't eat desserts much, will eat anything made with pumpkin.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

5 eggs
1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract


In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and stir into the dry until moistened.

Drop by 2 tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Cream cheese filling for cookies

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over the bttom of half of the cookies, top with remaining cookies. Store in refridgerator.

yields 2 dozen.

4 comments:

Jean Harshberger said...

Hey...That is the Whiting secret chicken recipie!!

Tarah said...

haha!!! Really? I wonder if the Stern family stole it from yours, or vice versa?

By the way, it's not a secret anymore! :)

Jean Harshberger said...

In a small bowl, eat the filling ingredients until smooth.

Yup you wrote EAT not beat. This is funny not because of the mistake but because I see you dipping your finger in the wonderful mixture every now and and then to make sure its just the right smoothness!!

Tarah said...

thanks for pointing that out :). as funny as it is, I can't leave it that way.