Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My favorite age

5 months. When Catie was born, Sherry (my sister-in-law) told me that 5 months was a fun age. At the time I was dealing with an infant who wouldn't sleep on her own and spit up constantly. So I waited for the "fun age". I wasn't disappointed. Catie still spit up, and still couldn't sooth herself to sleep, but she began to laugh and roll and sit up. Lydia is at that age now. She's a little more difficult to get to laugh, but she smiles big ALL the time (especially when she sees Daddy.) She has started to roll all around the room and when I sit her up she can balance herself for a short time. I like this age b/c, even though she's mobile, she's not really. I can more or less trust her to be in the area where I put her down. The best part of it all is that she doesn't spit up (much) and she goes to sleep on her own.

Another great thing about this age is that I understand her needs better. I know her signals when she needs to be fed or put down to sleep. She is also starting to eat pureed fruit. I enjoy feeding babies at this stage. They make a big mess the first couple of times, but after a while they get the hang of it and things smooth out.

I have found that when each of the girls have reached this stage that I don't long for the past or look forward for the future to come as quickly. I am content. And as I write this Catie just came up to me for a random kiss. I do look forward to Lydia doing that. Every stage has it's benefits.

No comments: