Wednesday, December 23, 2009

to drink or not to drink...

I know, I know....you have your own opinions already and you probably don't care about mine. Well, to that I say: Don't read my blog then. I have been thinking about this b/c James and I are becoming members of the Wesleyan Church (as soon as he finishes filling out some information). The Wesleyan Denomination is one that is close to my heart and when we participated in the membership classes recently it was confirmed to me that I actually DO believe the same things the Wesleyans believe. I always thought so, I had just never read the Wesleyan Statments of Faith (or whatever it's called).

James and I both grew up in this denomination, but we took very different paths in life. He took the path of alcohol and spent years in bars. I, on the other hand, have tasted alcohol a total of 6 times and have not enjoyed one drop. It tastes like cough medicine. I think it goes without saying that my husband no longer drinks*, but I said it anyway. We talk of this often in light of the fact that so many friends and family members drink on occasion. And some, like those buddy's he used to drink with, consume alcohol much more than occasionally. Here is an article he found recently that makes some good points.

I guess if you want to drink, no amount of logic/reasoning/arm-twisting is going to convince you to do otherwise. This does not mean I love you any less or that I think God loves you any less. That's for Him to decide. And, besides, I'm not posting this to convince you that my opinion is right or that you should change. It's simply for the sake of discussion and thought.



*the drinking that i am referring to is the consumption of alcohol, lest you believe that my husband is significantly dehydrated.

3 comments:

Jessa said...

Hey Tarah! First off - your kids are just adorable - love the photos of them on your sidebar!

Secondly, we are members of the Wesleyan Church also. Neither Garr nor I have ever been drunk. He likes the taste of alcohol; I can't stand it (until recently - I did find one winecooler that I really like - it tastes like grape soda - what can I say? I have the tastebuds of a child!) For the most part, Garr stays away from alcohol bc of the history of alcoholics on both sides of his family. However we do still drink (one or two beers/winecoolers) occasionally.

Anyways, we have also been through this decision process. Our decision was based primarily on the scripture "do not be drunk on anything other than the Spirit." Also the place where Paul talks about "becoming all things to all people so that we might win some." (read: not alienating our non-Christian friends and appearing "better than them."

We are in agreement with the Wesleyan Church on the vital biblical standpoints, but we don't agree with the rules about playing cards, dancing, and drinking. None of those things are bad in and of themselves. They are wrong when taken to extremes. So is over-eating, but there is nothing in the discipline about that!

At any rate, this is the choice we have made: We allow ourselves to drink occasionally, but never to extreme (that's basically no more than 2 beers.) Just thought I'd share what we've worked through! Everyone has to find what they are comfortable with. (sorry for the novel-length comment lol)

Merry Christmas!

Tarah said...

Thanks for your comments Jessa. I appreciate them. I'm happy to hear you are members. I think so many people our age shy away from such committment. We are planning to become Covenant members, so alcohol will be out completely. Even if that wasn't the case I can't imagine either of us drinking again (unless we go to Ireland and James is tempted to get a real Guiness). Our decision in this area is based on many of the points of this article (even before reading it) and also James's experience.

Also, I didn't realize the card-playing rule was still in the discipline. I thought they removed that. I agree with you about the over-eating, though.

There are many things in my life I wish I could/would take as definitive a stand about. It's all a process toward Holiness and Sanctification.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Jodi said...

One word. Holiness. You nailed it right there.