Thursday, July 22, 2010

little life lessons

Have you ever had a day when you realize how obsolete you've become in certain lives and at the same time have an epiphany of how important you are in other lives? That happened to me recently while at the wedding of a friend. It was a girl I had mentored and become friends with during my time at IWU as her RD/boss/friend. Almost my entire staff was part of the wedding party or attended the wedding. I consider these girls to be part of the most important years of my life, but I noticed that I don't seem to hold the same place in theirs. This is certainly no reflection of negative feelings toward any of these wonderful young women. I know that I am their friend and they love me. It is simply an observation that they have each other and I am not a part of the inner circle.

HOWEVER, I have a (much smaller) inner circle right here in my own home. I prefer dealing with college age girls, but one day these 3 little ones will be there and NOW is when I need to be setting the ground work for our relationship so that I can be an important part of their lives when they are in high school and college. They will have friends, but I hope they always come back to me with their real problems and needs.

Maybe, though, this is just a foreshadowing of things to come. I was the "mother" of the girls at IWU. They were "sisters". I guess it wouldn't be so bad if my girls loved me, but could rely on each other as best friends in their times of need. Only time will tell how our relationships will evolve. I'm just glad to have the chance to experience them in my life as much as I am grateful to have had the chance to know the girls from Shatford House.

No comments: